Friday, August 21, 2015

Confronting Injustice: The Practice of School Counselor Advocacy

I experienced a pivotal and life-changing personal and professional situation as a former school counselor that strengthened my voice to transform school counselor advocacy. Specifically, my duties were enlisted from school officials to help respond to an increasing problem, where elementary students were using anti-LGBT remarks, such as “that’s so gay,” in negative and discriminatory matters. My intervention approach involved the use of a developmentally appropriate and research driven anti-bullying curriculum, Ready, Set, Respect!, from The Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education
Network (GLSEN) and a children’s story, The Family Book by Todd Parr. To my
surprise, pushback surfaced as a result of my respect-for-all advocacy efforts. It first began with phone calls and quickly led to the first board meeting, where I walked through a prayer vigil, while protestors voiced opposition to one page in Parr’s storybook that stated, “some families have two moms or two dads.” Further, my advocacy efforts directed me to explain the rationale of the challenged materials to the school district’s formal curriculum committee, where the curriculum was deemed age-appropriate and evidence-based. However, as the opposition grew louder and parents began to pull their children out of the guidance lessons to mount pressure on school stakeholders, the school board and officials issued a directive to discontinue using any GLSEN resources and/or
materials that fostered an acceptance for LGBT populations in my building.

Self-reflective practice and consultation with mentors guided me to a deeper understanding-that I could not sit back and allow this injustice to perpetuate. Therefore, my voice for change led to partnerships at the local, state, and national level, where an advocacy message was crafted and delivered. For example, a family reading night at the town library was provided, as an opportunity for families and children to hear LGBT-welcoming and respectful stories, even while these materials were banned at school. The posters announcing this event were the first to be removed from the school bulletin boards. Although the school district never officially lifted the ban on the use of LGBT-inclusive materials, continuing to model and advocate the importance to do the right thing-even when all seemed impossible, was critical.

Throughout this journey, it became very clear to me the importance of self-reflection and the need to assess my efficacy as an advocate. This immensely benefitted my work for what I believed was right and to not give up, even when faced with adversity. I believe this experience truly benefited my students, families, and deepened my commitment to school counselor advocacy. Observing the impactful dialogue between community members and challenging their exclusionary views were invaluable lessons for all in this story. I was reminded that planting the seeds of respect for all student populations begins the first day children walk into our schools. The elementary years serve as a critical time for school counselors to respect and honor how students and families come in many shapes, colors, and sizes and to give voice to opportunities where all students can thrive in an
academic environment that accepts and celebrates who they are. Sometimes this may require school counselors to systemically advocate beyond the walls of their offices, in efforts to support the academic, personal/social, and college and career readiness in all of our students.

Carry On!

Matthew J. Beck, M.S.Ed., LCPC, NCC
PhD Student
Counselor Education and Supervision Program
The University of Iowa
Email: matthew-beck@uiowa.edu
Twitter: @mattjbeck
Website: http://matthewjbeck.weebly.com

No comments:

Post a Comment